Thursday, March 01, 2007

Being rooted and established

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of Christ" Ephesians 3:17-19

I can't believe it's March already ! I had my second mentoring session yesterday evening. As I half expected, we ended up talking about the things I didn't want to (but probably needed to) talk about and didn't get round to talking about what I'd wanted to...but in praying for me, my mentor had this picture: of a tree, like an oak tree or something. And just felt like, God is at work in me, but He's putting my roots down deeper this year. The roots are underground and can't be seen, so it may not necessarily feel like anything is happening, but it is. And the roots of a tree are foundational, vital, and it will mean that at the right time, the tree can bear fruit.
I have been given pictures, many also involving trees and flowers, along these lines before but it was just really encouraging to hear.

It also made me realise how impatient I am - I want everything to happen now, everything to be sorted out in me...etc. But God doesn't work like that. He has good plans, and His timing is perfect. He knows what He's doing. There are several areas at the moment where I feel like, in light of this, I really need God's help to be more patient in waiting for His timing, and not trying to press ahead with things before it's right.

This morning, I was then reflecting on this passage from Ephesians, which came to mind. And was thinking, what would that actually mean, to be ROOTED and ESTABLISHED in love? The best definitions I could find (thanks to Google) are:

Roots - The underground component of plants, responsible for anchoring plants and providing them with water and nutrients.

Also, I was also thinking that without roots or with only shallow roots the plant can be very easily uprooted, blown over when storms come.

Established - the state of a plant when it is adjusted to the site and thriving

"ROOTED and ESTABLISHED IN LOVE". Wow.

No comments: