Sunday, April 01, 2007

Words part II and general update

Hi, it's been a while - probably the longest I've not blogged in a while. And though that's not necessarily a bad thing in itself, I do feel rather that I left a few loose ends hanging with my last posts, so I shall attempt to update you all !

In response to my post entitled 'words', can I thank all those who commented. Although I didn't respond immediately, I did find all three comments really helpful. So thank you. (Plus it's nice to know there's still some point in writing on here, as I still have a few readers and I can still provoke other people to think !)

Matt, I did indeed on your advice look into the 'word of faith' heresy. (One of the few times in past months I have actually been grateful for the deception in the church website, which I normally find quite unhelpful - but that's a whole nother blog post in itself!) I was shocked. And shocked as to the links with prosperity gospel stuff...I was going to post links on here, but it was a while ago I read them so I won't or go into detail, but suffice to say it made me stop and think.

Although I was 'working' pretty much the whole weekend Ken McGreavy was at Woodies (23-25th March), I still managed to take in a few things and some of what I did catch was quite helpful on this whole topic. A few of things he said: it's about where we put our confidence. God knows how to answer far better than we know how to ask; That what is important is not the contents of out prayers but our attitude, lining our hearts with the will of God; that prayer isn't just about speaking to God, it's also about listening; He is far better at speaking than we are at listening; we need to switch our attention from our inability to listen to His capability to speak.

Prayer, like worship, (in my mind anyway) is in some ways such a simple thing. Yet in others, it is so immense and complicated, having so many sides to it ! But at the end of the day, on the Devotion weekend away (16th-18th March - it was exhausting but amazing!) I did pray for a couple of the Devotees. I struggled with myself for a long while, I left the room during the saturday night ministry time. But after spending a few moments in quiet, went back up and with God-given courage I was able to pray. Now I don't for a minute want to pretend I then prayed the most amazing prayers ever or that I even really knew what I was praying, but I did pray and I know that God heard me. He is SO much bigger than all my fears and worries, if I let Him be.

Playing at Livesoc went ok (in follow up to my last post). We did find a keyboard, and I did play it - all my 3 songs. I was so nervous, but it went ok. The room was very quiet afterwards (I don't think they quite knew how to respond to what I'd sung!) But I just pray that God will have used some of what I sang to make an impact and stir things up. I think people there know me well enough now to appreciate that I only sing about stuff I believe in and agree with, and that I'm honest in my music. I really enjoyed the night in the end, and appreciated having a few friends from outside livesoc come and support me. At the end of the night I then even got to go up onstage with Pondlife to help with harmonies and broccoli waving (long story) for their last song - quite an honour since they say this will probably be their last gig ever in the Student Union !!! (Check out the photos and video footage - some of which I am in - in this Pondlife fan's web album).

Having responded to those two things, I will sign off for now. I may not post as frequently anymore as I once did, due in part to time pressures but also due in part to the potential leaving of a couple of people from Blogger - I only really started this all up you know so I could comment on all your blogs ! Anyway, I for one am looking forward to Easter now - I go home tomorrow or tuesday for just under 2 weeks. I am currently feeling very tired and drained from the term, especially the last month of it, and I currently have much on my mind - far too much to blog about. Year team is, as I was forewarned and can now testify to, completely amazing (!) but also very challenging (physically, emotionally and spiritually, and probably any other -ally words you can think of) most of the time !

No comments: