My essay was done (although not wonderfully) and handed in, and thankfully I can say that my nightmare didn't come true ! I did make it to the weekend away.
We got back this afternoon about 3.15ish. I had an amazing weekend. It started with a few of us going to devotion on friday evening (youth congregation at Woodies) to help lead worship. It was so amazing to be there, to meet lots of new people and have good chats, to play a fun game of hockey (involving rolls of newspaper), but mostly, just amazing to see those at devotion and...I don't know how to express this really...but, just to see how passionnate they are in pursuing God (I think that's a good way of describing it). There is so much I could learn from all of them, and so much I did learn on friday night. They were grateful for having a 'team of students' come to lead the worship, but really, it is us who should be grateful, for them letting us come and share the evening with them !!
We then headed to the weekend away, and didn't get lost (much) thankfully. We got there just in time for the name game (which was very funny). Overall, the weekend was just amazing. Really good to spend time wth people, building community a big more, and I was given lots of encouraging things, as well as challenges, - some from the talks, but mainly from other people e.g. when they were praying for me. Also, unlike some other weekends away where it has felt really sad when people disperse after getting back at the end, I just felt really peaceful, and like I was now slightly more ready to face the next onslaught. I just want to try and hang onto that feeling of peace, and the focus I gained from the weekend, for this coming week, which otherwise I could turn into just a load of busyness.
If I had to give an example of one more general thing which was challenging from the weekend, I would probably mention the whole "kingdom identity" thing: about how, when everything is stripped away, what is my identity ? Am I Ro the musician, Ro the "sometimes worship leader", Ro the biochemist, Ro who lives in my particular house with my housemates in Bristol, Ro who is part of the family I'm part of...or am I Ro the child of God ? What is it that my identity is in at the moment. And how can I be working with God to change that identity to "Ro a child of God" ? Cause that is what my identity REALLY IS. It's not that I did anything to gain this new identity, but that I have been given it because of Jesus. It is my new identity. So it's not, how can I force my identity to that, but how can I change the way I see who I am, to being what it really is (if that makes sense ?) And how can I learn more to be secure in the knowledge of that identity, so that whatever happens, I will be still confident because I know who I am ?
So yes, very good weekend.
Sunday, February 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment