Saturday, January 28, 2006

Grrrr...computers and another event plug

Before I mention why I am currently fed-up with computers, I shall first plug an event (since I am knee deep now in internet sites, I may as well use them for telling people about events ?) :

Anyway...(for people in Bristol)...there is a talk this coming tuesday (31st Jan) at lunchtime (1-2). Professor Halestrap, one of the professors from the biochemistry department (very good lecturer and also my literary project supervisor) is speaking on "Science and God, a contradiction in terms ?" It's going to be held in a seminar room in the chemistry department (there will be people directing on the day) and there'll be a free baguette lunch. So...do come along !!! It's an interesting topic - one which always has much controversy surrounding it (but especially at the moment in light of recent television shows and magazine articles) and one which scientists and non-scientists alike should be thinking about.

This event is part of the run-up to a week of events which the Bristol Christian Union are putting on from 6th-10th Feb, when there will be talks on many different subjects, inviting people to consider the issues surrounding Christianity and to find out more about who Jesus really is. I shall plug these more in due course I think, but do be thinking about whether you could/would like to come along to a talk that week. Ask me if you'd like more details (before I post again and if I don't manage to speak to you in person.)

Well then, plug over, I shall move onto (and finish on) the topic of computers...why is it, that the one day you have no lectures (yesterday) and so decide you will spend a whole day of working really hard, is the one day when your computer decides to play up ? (Mr Sod has a lot of things to account for in this life, lol.) My computer keeps needing to run disk scans before it can boot up, and then yesterday, even when I did manage to get it to boot up, it then proceeded to crash every time I attempted to open "My computer", or "Search for files", or in fact, pretty much anything. It also sent me a whole load of error messages. The problem isn't fixed I don't think - as yet. I did however manage to make my computer respond enough for me to do some work, but it was just annoying as it meant that a good proportion of my "work time" was eaten up with just trying to make my computer respond to me and trying to then run virus scans - Another example, I think, which shows how dependent I have become on computers for everything ! (I feel a post coming on...sometime soon anyway...)

No comments: