Saturday, December 03, 2005

"What is easy" vs "what is right"

And, to make up for not posting much this week, here's even more from me !

I've just gotten back from going to see the new Harry Potter film with one of my housemates. I thought it was truly amazing !!! I think it's gotta be my favourite film so far (which is odd since book 4 was by no means anywhere near my favourite book). I got completely lost in the film, and while I thought it was a shame that they had to cut out so much 'non-essential' stuff, I thought they did do it really well and cast all the new parts well (though of course you're entitled to disagree with me if you like.)

What struck me a lot in the film, was when Dumbledore says right at the end about how Harry will have to choose "between what is right and what is easy". It may not be totally true, but it kind of has some truth to it perhaps (though again, feel free to disagree with me on this). Again, this is an example of how I think deeply about things. Many of my best friends in Bristol have long since learnt that films (most of the time) affect me very deeply. Not in the way I think about the film itself, but on what it leads me to think about. Let me give you an example from tonight...the whole good vs evil thing, as my housemate said, has many parallels which may be drawn with Christianity (bear with me), however unintentional they may be. I think that is going to be inevitable in a film based on this topic of good vs evil, and is in fact why I love such films so much. Many people will argue that we should only have films/books which end sadly, or not so in an 'unrealistic' way. But I think they're wrong. Although life is hard, ultimately inside us we know that there is more to life that the way things appear to go, even when hard. When we see a happy ending, it feels natural somehow and we feel that this is how life should be. But ultimately, we can know that life DOES have a happy ending, despite whatever may be happening to us right now. Good WILL always triumph, and in fact already has - God has triumphed over evil.

Phew...told you I thought deeply. And all from Harry Potter !! Please do know that I'm not trying to preach or anything, or sound superior in any way. That's not my intention. My intention is, as always, to just share my thoughts as I think them (or perhaps slightly after I think them as I cannot always find a computer whenever I need one. Lol). But do come back at me in the comments if you disagree with anything I've said, or comment too if you have any suggestions for my blog, or in fact why not just say hi :-)

I think that's enough from me for one day. (It'll keep you going in case I don't get a chance to post much next week !) I shall now go and listen to Dave Matthews Band (CD borrowed from a good friend - the band is awesome btw) and then head to bed. Night !!

No comments: